101 Interview Questions to Ask When Hiring Almost Anyone
- How would you describe a work environment that fits your personality best?
- What are the signs that an employer is good to work for?
- What do you consider your pet peeves in the workplace?
- How do you learn best? Seeing? Doing? Hearing? Taking Notes? One-on-one? In groups?
- Do you have a computer at home? What do you use it for?
- What computer programs have you used most?
- What might make you angry at work?
- Do you prefer to have a window visible from your workstation?
- What’s the best vacation you ever took in your life?
- What’s the worst vacation you ever took in your life?
- What do you know about our practice?
- What do you think the responsibilities of this job are?
- What do you think compassion is?
- How do you have compassion for a patient who is yelling at you?
- Have you ever been asked to do something at work that made you uncomfortable? What was it and how did you handle it?
- What’s the best present you ever received?
- What’s the worst present you ever received?
- What was the very first job you had as a young person where you got paid?
- Is it difficult for you to see people in pain?
- If you were asked to bring a home-cooked dish to a work gathering, what would you make?
- How would you describe appreciation in the workplace?
- What are some ways you like to be appreciated?
- Give me an example of a project that you made a significant contribution to (at work or any other environment.)
- Tell me something about yourself that would surprise me.
- What was your favorite task at your (present or last) job?
- What was your least favorite task at your (present or last) job?
- What skill that you learned at another job do you think you could use in this job?
- What interests you about this practice?
- How do you define compassion?
- If you consider yourself a compassionate person, describe how you display it.
- Do you enjoy movies? What kind?
- Do you enjoy books? What kind do you like?
- What is your best mechanism for relieving stress?
- Have you ever collected money from people as a part of a job?
- What do you wish you could learn to do if you had the chance?
- What do you think your current/last boss would say about your job performance?
- What’s your favorite outdoor activity?
- Describe a failure that taught you something.
- What is your response to someone who is verbally threatening you?
- Who (outside of a family member) has taught you the most?
- Have there been tasks at previous jobs that you enjoyed that others didn’t? What were they?
- What’s the best team you’ve been on and why?
- What would you do about a close co-worker who isn’t pulling her weight and is making you work harder?
- Based on your work experiences, what is one thing most employers could do better?
- What do you hope to gain from this job?
- What in your life are you passionate about?
- What is offensive to you in the workplace?
- What do you think “being to work on time” means?
- Tell me about a special pet you’ve had or have now.
- Why do you/do you want to work in healthcare?
- What have you heard about us as a company?
- Name 5 things you could do with a cantaloupe besides eat it.
- What is the best employment benefit you’ve ever received at a job?
- What’s the hardest thing you’ve ever been asked to do at work?
- What makes you laugh?
- What accomplishment are you proudest of?
- What do you think the expression “rolling with the punches” means?
- Describe a situation (work or non-work) when you were the team leader.
- What would you do in a situation where a problem occurs over and over again without anyone taking steps to fix it?
- Describe your current boss/last boss using three words.
- What do you think it means to give someone “the benefits of the doubt”?
- What is the best conference or seminar you’ve ever attended, either for work or outside of work?
- How would you handle a co-worker who uses language that you feel is inappropriate in the workplace?
- Do you consider yourself a detail person? If so, give an example of your attention to detail.
- What motivates you to go the extra mile in the workplace?
- When was the last time that you felt you really made a difference at your job? Please describe.
- What’s your favorite sports team?
- What do you think the expression “It is what it is” means?
- What kind of music do you like?
- Do you play any musical instruments?
- What would you do if your boss had really horrible bad breath?
- How do you define professionalism?
- Do you think you are good with money? if so, why?
- How do you know when it’s time to schedule a mental health day?
- If you were asked to choose between writing a report by yourself, giving a report at a staff meeting or being part of a team writing a report, which would you prefer to do?
- What’s your favorite soft drink and why?
- If you were in charge of collecting money for an office function and one person never paid up, how would resolve this?
- Do you consider yourself good with technology?
- Describe the last time you had to ask your supervisor for help.
- What do you think irritates others about you?
- Do you have any problems remembering to clock in and out daily?
- Do you any trips or time off already scheduled going forward?
- What’s the favorite city or house you’ve ever lived in?
- Would you be available to work overtime if needed?
- What type of co-worker is the hardest for you to deal with?
- What do think are the signs of a well-run office?
- Have you ever made a suggestion at work that you thought was “out of the box”?
- Are you a good speller?
- What is the dress code at your current/former employer? What do or don’t you like about it?
- What do you think “casual day or dress down day” means?
- What questions do you have for me?
Questions for Supervisors:
- What do you find hardest about supervising people?
- Give me an example of a situation where you made an exception to an office policy and why.
- What is the best way to handle a face-to-face patient complaint?
- What do you think should be the first priority for the person in this position?
- How do you stop people from gossiping in the office?
- What is your personal philosophy on customer service?
- What do you do when you find your stress level increasing?
- What’s your favorite trick for staying organized?
- Is there ever any situation when you think it is appropriate to share something an employee said to you in confidence?
- What’s your favorite technique for achieving a win/win outcome to a problem?
Let me know about any great questions you think should be added to the list!
Posted in: Human ResourcesLeave a Comment (3) →